Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Saying Good Bye!

Celebrating Uncle Tom's
life!

He wouldn't want it
any other way.

Since my last post,
my life has been somewhat
like riding a roller coaster,
some highs,
followed with some 
gut
wrenching
lows.
My dear, sweet, Uncle Tom,
the Patriarch of our family,
passed away(peacefully)
Sunday evening.

But this post is not going to be about
sadness...

NOPE,
It's hopefully going to convey
the message of  LOVE,
and
to remind ourselves
how each moment counts...

Hold your loved ones close,
and tell them YOU LOVE  THEM,
let them know how much
they mean to YOU!

I was able to visit my Uncle in
the hospital, and I was one
of the lucky ones to
see him when the pain
he had, was for a short while,
 under control. 

Before I left, we both said,
"I love YOU",
he took my hand and kissed it!

When we left, he was smiling and visiting
with family and friends,
my Aunt Mary (his soul mate),
at his side.

He, along with his family at his side,
chose to move on to palliative care,
 they specialize in relieving and
and preventing the suffering of
terminally ill patients.
All we wanted,
was for him not to
 be in pain anymore.

Uncle Tom's wish
was to go home.

On Sunday afternoon,
his family,
along with hospice,
arranged for Tom
to go home,
to his beloved beach house.

With his family by his side,
he passed away peacefully.

It's hard to imagine a
family event without him.
He was so much to all of us,
I'll miss his roar
of
La Familia
or his
famous
Group Hugs,
after a family get together!

Here are some pictures of
my Uncle Tom,
a Husband, Father,
Brother, Grandfather,
Uncle, Father in law,
Brother in law,
Good friend, Mentor,
teacher, hunting buddy,
a Marine
and so much more!


~Tom with some of his Granddaughters~

Most likely out crabbing!


~Tom the head Pirate~

Every summer we look
forward to going to the beach
for the 4th. of July!
The street is closed off and
the neighborhood has their own
parade...Our Familia have always
been the pirates, because
of Uncle Tom!

~Tom loooved anything to do with family~


~the kids loved being his pirates~


~my brothers adored him~



~the day of my son's wedding~

Always, the famous smile!


~at Dad's birthday party in May~

Forever
and
Always
in our hearts,
each of us carry's
a lifetime of memories of
our (my Uncle) Tom
and what he was to
each and every one of us!

I love you Uncle Tom!

Debbie~








8 comments:

Rose H (UK) said...

Sincere condolences for your loss.
Uncle Tom was certainly well loved and loved well in return. Beautiful pictures and memories for you and your family - you are right to celebrate his life.
Thinking of you and his family.

Victoria said...

I'm so sorry for your loss...RIP Uncle Tom, he has a wonderful smile in those pics!!!

stefanie said...

what a wonderful tribute to him!

NanaDiana said...

Oh Debbie- My heart aches for all of you...as for him, we know that he is in a better place. He looks like he was such a good soul-full of live and laughs and love of all those that belonged to him~ God bless you as you deal with his passing. xo Diana

joanne said...

what a wonderful smile and a light that shines from his beautiful heart...you will always be his Pirates!! So very sorry for your loss Deb, so very glad you had some special time with him. take care dear friend.

Susie said...

Dear Debbie,
So soryy for the loss of your sweet uncle. I know the loss of the family's leader. I felt it at the loss of our parents , just 2 years apart. Don't let the young ones forget Tom. sincerely, Susie

The Old Parsonage said...

Debbie I'm soo sorry to hear about your Uncle's passing. It looks like he lived a wonderful life surround by his loved ones.

"Be still and know that I am God"

Gentle Hugs my friend.

Leann

The White Pear Tree said...

Oh Debbie, my deepest condolences to you and your family for your loss. He looked like such a loving and fun loving man, full of life and laughter! I'm glad you left him with a smile and an "I love you", we don't always have the chance to do that. It's wonderful that he was at home too. You wrote a beautiful tribute. I miss him too and I don't even know him, lol! God bless you.