Thursday, June 23, 2011

On Summer Break!


This school year is over!

The kids were so ready,
and
 I'm so excited, we were
so sad to see it end! :)

I work at a middle school
with special needs kiddos.

They look forward to the last
few days with GREAT
ANTICIPATION!

Our school has
fun events for all the students,
and our
kiddos
LOOOVE IT!

The 6th. graders
have
different
inflatables,
 junk food, snacks,
and
games!


~image from google~

The 7th. graders
go skating,



~image from google~

and
the 8th. graders go see a
movie!

I've always stayed at
school, and assisted
the kiddos
at the inflatables and various field events!

This year, I went to the movie
with three other adults, and
10 of our special needs
kiddos... along with
ALL
of the gen. ed. 8th. graders!


We saw

Mr. Poppers Penguins
with
Jim Carrey


~image from google~

and I loooved it!

I knew our kiddos
would love it,
and
enjoy being on
such a special outing,
(some of our kiddos
don't get out and about
very often), and this was
HUGE!!!

What I was happily
surprised with WAS...

How wonderful the 8th. graders
were...(They were sitting all around us),
 they laughed, their heads off...
just like I was, at all the funny spots,
and they were quite and attentive and
genuinely respectful, throughout the
rest of the movie!!!

When the movie was over,  
there was an appropriate ROAR of
Happiness, and they

CLAPPED,

and then,

they filed out of the theatre
in what I thought was a
quick and quiet
manner...

Honestly, I am soooo
proud of this group of young
people, I just had to share this
with you!

That was Tuesday...

and
yesterday (Wednesday),
was our last day of school,
and...

I took our best bud,
SPORTZ
to school!


~Sportz~

One of our boys had
been asking me to bring
him all year, and because
he was going to
High School
next fall, I decided
to surprise him
by bringing
Sporty!

The kiddos loooved him,
they hugged him,
petted,
 patted,
rubbed,
hugged some more,
talked to him,
starred,
watched,
called,
smelled,
kissed...(yep, they did),
and hugged some more!!!

and

He loooved them back!
His tail never stopped
wagging, and he stole
kisses whenever he
could!

My fave, part of his visit
was this...

It was magical,
one of
our autistic kiddos ran
up to his teacher
AND
told her (goose bumps here),
about the NICE DOG!!!:)
He talked...(on his own,
no coaxing),
seriously,
this was a treasured moment!

Another touching
moment was watching
one of our kiddos
that seldom talks or shares anything with us,
sit down on the floor, and plant
a  HUGE BEAR HUG around the big bear
of a dog sitting in front of her!!!
So sweet!

Anyhoo,

Later,
their teacher said,
"this visit with Sportz
was fantastic, and she'd
like to see it be a regular
event"! Yay!

I wish you could've
been there, it truly
was
MAGICAL!

Thanks for visiting my blog
I'm linking with Cindy's
blog over at
My Romantic Home
for
(even though it's not about
my home).
If you get a chance, do go
see Mr. Poppers Penquins
with your kiddos or Grands,
it's a great family show,
with Jim Carrey at his best!

Always, Debbie~


2 comments:

joanne said...

Fantastic! It was so nice to see a happy story today...;j

The White Pear Tree said...

Sounds like a lovely day! Yes, never underestimate the power of pet therapy. I took my bichon to nursing homes for a couple of years and she would always solicit a reaction from residents with very advanced dementia or Alzheimer's and brighten the day of a lot of depressed ones.

Good for you for volunteering with these guys!