Wednesday, November 24, 2010

I have so much to be thankful for!

My son was driving home from
work at the U of W Monday night.
Like thousands of other folks, he was
caught in the terrible ice conditions,
made worse by rush hour traffic
in the greater Seattle area!
During his long slow treacherous
drive home, he lost control
in ice and hit a guard rail,
which spun him 360  and shot him
across the lanes before he came to a stop.
Thankfully, he was going slow and there
were no other cars involved, 
he wasn't hurt,
(Thank YOU God)!
 he wired his headlights back on and
was able to make it home...

...and today,
it's
COLD, COLD, COLD

School was cancelled today, because of the 6-7inches
of snow we got yesterday, causing the roads to be too dangerous...
 I'm so grateful, because I would've
been petrified to drive to work this morning!
The temperature has
dropped down into the mid teens,
Brrr!

Our roads are still covered
in snow and very icy! The sun came out today and melted just enough
to make them as slick as a skating rink!

Enough about our weather...

My kitchen was nice and toasty warm
after baking an apple pie this evening!

Here's a picture of it just before I
popped it in the oven!

~Give Thanks~

I've always written on my pies.
Sometimes I may just have
turkey tracks going across
them with a plain
Gobble!

I've delighted friends
on their B'days
or
anniversary's
with
a little pie art!

Try it!

This pie is A SUGAR FREE!
(DIABETICS LOVE IT)

~SUGAR FREE APPLE PIE~

1 12OZ. FROZEN CONCENTRATE APPLE JUICE
3 TBL. CORNSTARCH
1 TBL. LEMON JUICE
1 TSP. CINNAMON
(USE WHATEVER KIND OF APPLES
YOU LIKE BEST, THE ORIGINAL
RECIPE CALLED FOR GOLDEN
DELICIOUS)!

I PEEL ENOUGH APPLES TO FILL
MY PIE PLATE (W/UNCOOKED PIE CRUST)

ON MEDIUM HEAT, STIR APPLE JUICE WITH
CORNSTARCH, LEMON JUICE & CINNAMON...
KEEP STIRRING UNTIL IT BECOMES THICK.
I ADD THE APPLES TO THIS MIXTURE AND
THEN POUR IT ONTO MY PIE CRUST...

(I ADD A FEW PATS OF BUTTER ON
TOP OF THE APPLES, THEN TOP
WITH THE TOP CRUST)!

EASY, EASY, EASY!

BAKE AT 450 FOR 10 MINUTES,
AND CONTINUE AT 350
FOR 30 MINUTES OR UNTIL
CRUST IS NICELY BRONZED! :)


~just out of the oven~

~one down, 3-4 more to go~


Here's my NO FAIL pie crust:

3 CUPS FLOUR
1 1/2 CUP SHORTENING
1 EGG
3 TBL. ICE WATER
PINCH OF SALT
2 TBL. VINEGAR OR LEMON JUICE

MIX TOGETHER, BLEND WELL WITH PASTRY KNIFE.
IT WORKS EVERY TIME!!!


...AND
this is what my friend
Pattie told me about
yesterday morning
and guess what?!?

I tried it!!!

~it was sooo easy, less mess, I loved it~

I'll let you know how flaky and yummy it really is!

My computer is acting very suspicious...
This is my second day trying to
get this post here, and so
far so good!

Wish me luck, if I
can't get on tomorrow,
Know that From My Family
to Yours,
I'm wishing YOU ALL,

A WONDERFUL
AND
BLESSED
THANKSGIVING!!!

With Love,
Debbie~



                      



3 comments:

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Debbie...

Ohhh my...I'm sooo glad to hear that your son is safe, my friend! We have been having similar weather here in Colorado. Sure makes driving the roads trecherous! God does take care of us and our children!!!

Well my friend, your apple pie sure turned out pretty! I love how you wrote on the top...awesome!!! Thanks for sharing your recipes with us! Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!

Warmest wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

joanne said...

I was watching the traffic mess on the news and was so glad that I was all warm and safe. Glad to hear that your son made it home safely too after such a scare. Isn't this crazy...it was 11 degrees when I went to bed. brrrr...too cold for this girl.
The pie looks great. Now that I've got a little inspiration I need to get baking. take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving..;j

NanaDiana said...

That pie looks wonderful. I am not diabetic but I try to not eat sugar as I feel it sets off cravings for me. I am going to copy this recipe over to my file.

Sorry that your son got in the accident but I am happy that he is alright. Scary stuff, when something happens to our kids!

Have a lovely Thanksgiving- Diana